Thursday, February 23, 2012

Wayfinding Theory

Information Design: The Wayfinding Theory

For seven years I drove trucks I have done everything from running fright around the corner from one building to another, and running freight across the country from coast to coast. I would love be to be able to say that the invention of the GPS made my life great, but those are made for cars not truckers for the simple reason that low bridges are not marked on them for starters. Wayfinding is what kept me from driving in circles for seven years. There are three major processes to way-finding it is these three steps that makes finding point A to point B possible. The decision making is step one followed by step too the decision execution, and finely the information processing that enables the ability to make, and execute the decision process (Jacobsen pg 88-89). This process like following a GPS has it’s good and bad components the pro’s and con’s that we dread so much.

PRO’S:

As described in (Gibson pg 13) provides direction in a complex world filled with cities.

If the thought of wayfinding makes you think of just signs you would be wrong it includes anything that directs you towards your destination.

CON’S

One con is not everyone needs the same amount of information in order to travel from one point to another. This can put a damper on the design for the computer cannot decide based on human thought.

Another con or flaw depending on your outlook on life is the fact that computers are not perfect, and getting a graphic design and architectural design to work hand in hand can be a problem.

Not everyone likes a little graphic designed car on a screen driving on a graphic city road with arrows telling you where to turn myself I would rather have words printed on the screen.

If you’re now thinking to yourself what is wrong with this guy I thought this blog was about information design then the answer is: No I have not gone mad. Information design and wayfinding can work hand in hand. Just as drivers and truckers alike rely on directions to figure out where they are going so doesn’t website viewers. I haven’t driven a truck in several years and now I work as a photographer my website I have been working on for some-time now. I want people to have the “Steve Jobs Apple” experience, and by that I mean I want my site to be user friendly I want people to feel at home not lost and left feeling like they never got to see any of my prints. Making websites essay to maneuver by simple direction sounds like such a simple task the reality is it is a task usually over looked. In my case if I overlook the way-finding process than I will not be selling prints and my rent will not get paid nor will I be eating.

3 comments:

  1. The elements have been arranged at first glance by a hard edged brown line which is shaped as a geometric rectangle with inner text. The design relies on negative space and uses a barely discernible mountain in the background layout. There is a lack of contrast which depicts a harmony within the piece. The predominant color is blue meaning calm, peace, professionalism, loyalty and reliability. Another color depicted is brown reflecting nature, relaxed, confident, casual, reassuring, nature. Bringing these colors together form a balance as it does in nature.

    Spaces are areas defined by the shapes and forms just as the raindrop shapes which are sporadically placed in the design as if on a windshield while driving in a light rain. This helps express the airy space feeling. The use of patterns can be seen in the placement of raindrops while the brown rectangle contrasts with the light blurry mountain in the background. The mountain form gives a three dimensional perspective as do the raindrops in the foreground.

    It is clear that the designer is concerned with the elements and principles of art and design as showcased by space, contrast, patterns and shapes. The purpose of the work is to show harmony within information design. The title, “Wayfinding Theory, Information Design: The Wayfinding Theory” provides clues to the meaning of the work as wayfinding is broken down by hierarchically structured decision plans as seen by the design archive arrows. The piece portrays simplicity another facet of the theory.

    The designer conveys personal experiences, seven years as a trucker as well as cultural experiences by displaying links to a personal blog with a different design. The chosen elements create an effective symbolic message as rain is a sign of renewal. Meaning wayfinding adds a new and easier way to get from point A to B.

    I believe that the values and contrast of light and dark stands out most when I first viewed the design. Another element that seems important is the feeling of textured rocks and the wet droplets. The art movement that might have inspired the designer would be minimalism because this style is very simple in how it is depicted as well as what it visually represents.

    The clear message the designer successfully communicated would be that wayfinding brings piece of mind to the user. If I had to choose a title for this piece, I would name it, “Finding tranquility through wayfinding.” I do not believe the quality of this work needs improvement and in my opinion, there is only one meaning for this design. The designer has accomplished what he has set out to do and that is to show simplicity in wayfinding.

    Your posting was an interesting read.
    Good job!!!

    Danelle Wolfe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,
    I agree with Danelle. You have gotten the message across free and clear about the theory of wayfinding in information design. You have discussed the process involved, the pros and cons, and included your personal experiences as a truck driver.
    I like the design of your blog with the light text on the dark background. It makes the text stand out and easy to read. The water droplet background is also a nice touch. One thing I noticed was you forgot to include your references at the bottom of the post. You have the in-text citations just not the full references to back them up.
    Overall well done.

    Regards,
    Patrick Warren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice explanation of wayfinding, as well as explaining "the good, the bad and the ugly" of wayfinding. I did not find the Gibson reference, and there are a few spelling errors. Other than the small corrections I mentioned, your explanation of wayfinding was good. One other minor discrepancy I found was your reference to only one direction; however, there are two types, special and linear wayfinding (Jacobson, 2000, p. 90). This would mean 2 paths, the direct path and the slightly broader path which still follows a path with some space for deviation.

    ~Chad~

    Works Cited
    Jacobson, R. (2000). Information Design. London: The MIT Press.

    ReplyDelete