Sunday, February 5, 2012

The "ART" of information design

I titled the blog understanding information design, and what would be a better name is what information design is. To simply understand what it is would be to log into your computer and google the term, but to say what it is would be to give a basic understanding of what information design is and then continue to break it down as well as taking it different directions.

A simple answer would be “taking complex information and breaking it down,” but I am not an computer science major and I am not trying to break a major source code here. The idea of the class is to break down what we are seeing and reading everyday and understanding that the words and symbols are more than just that. It is all information design, designed to send a message.

Information designers come up with ways to get the message across whether its directions programmed into a car GPS or a poster hanging on the wall. Information has to do more than just display a message it has to grab your attain such as that little orange sticker on a bottle of pills. I mean I have a bad knee, back and I am visiting doctors all the time. Medications are prescribed left and right most I don’t take but some I do. The one thing I always read, because it stands out is the little orange sticker the one that reads warnings. That is information design the message was created by a designer.

1 comment:

  1. Nice layout, the rain drops on glass over the background provides a welcoming feel, without complicating or making the page too busy. The approach of art helps get someone’s attention as its different and thought provoking. I too often try to use odd, thought provoking titles to "hook" the reader. I look forward to future posts and seeing how you "catch" your next topic line.

    ReplyDelete